Thursday, January 22, 2009

Eli Guest Post #4: Thoughts on State tests

Ah, state tests. The thing every child aged 10 to 18 loves to hate. In Washington State, our lovely test is called the WASL: the Washington Assessment of Student Learning. I have long Loathed this test for a few reasons:

1. It's a big test
2.You have to answer the questions in a certain way that turns the flexibility of our thinking to that comparable to a twig.
3. Teachers center their whole curriculum around it, for it is the test that they want us to pass.

Today I read in the newspaper that they are trying to get rid of the WASL for good. YAY!!! They are planning to put a shorter, computerized test into action instead, which will take half the time of the WASL. Sounds great, huh? well, let's see the pros and cons:

Pros:

No more WASL
Takes half as long
20% less of the quiz is extended response
The title will not be Acronym-ized
Computers are generally more fun
We get our test back twice as soon

Cons:

No matter what you call it, it's still a state test
Only one week of no homework (for the most part)
It will take several years fo this to go into action
You must still pass them to move on in life

What do YOU think about state tests? This is an appeal to all parents, teachers, and students who read this: Tell me your opinion on state testing and what needs to happen with it. Also tell me if you're a teacher, student, or mom/dad posting: the source of the opinion matters, too.

5 comments:

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Don't get me started! I definitely think the teachers base almost their whole curriculum around the test, and it's really changed the way math is taught. Not sure if that's good or bad, but just really different. And what about the kids that just moved here. Jeff moved here in 6th grade and even with 2 years had a tough time getting into the groove and being ready by 8th grade. I feel for kids that move from out of state or out of country. It's very difficult to get into that way of thinking. But one good thing. None of my kids write very well, and now they can all write a good 5 paragraph essay in their sleep!--Julie Powell

Anne said...

I have mixed feelings about testing.

Years ago, when I first started homeschooling my kids, I was dead set against them. But, we now live in a world where tests
determine what your station in life will be. You'll take the ACT to get into college, then the GRE, GMAT and MCAT to get into graduate schools.

So, now, my kids have started taking tests on an annual basis. They take the California Achievement Test even though we don't live in California. Its been rated the best measure for nation wide education goals.

If I taught only the subjects that were required for the test, we'd only be studying grammar, math and science...pretty much the same subjects that you need for the ACT.

It breaks my heart that history and geography are no longer seen as important in todays world! I believe they are very important and so I teach them anyway!

Good luck with your future test taking!

Lara said...

Hi Eli!

As a mom and former teacher I have to tell you that I hate the WASL. Education isnt' education when you only teach to test.

Amy said...

Eli,
I have to agree with you about the state tests. I can't stand them, I always dreaded them when I had to take them. I am sure you do great on them since you are super smart! Love your posts!

Placido Domingo said...

Eli:

My two cents. The best thing you can learn from taking a standardized state test is....

How to take a standardized test.

For better or worse, you'll be taking tests like this one all through school and college, so you might as well get good at it.

I'm sure you're already great at them.

Jay

cjanerun