Today I had a missionary from another church stop by my house. She talked to me for awhile and left some literature for me to read. As soon as she left my front porch I ran back in the house and found a Book of Mormon. I offered it to her and she said she had already read it, but had decided to just stick with the bible. I bore a simple testimony of the truthfulness of the book and then went back inside the house. I must admit I shed a few tears of sadness that she so easily rejected the book.
As I reflected on this exchange I was reminded of one of my favorite conference talks from a couple of weeks ago. It was given by Elder Marcos A. Aidukaitis who said:
I feel sad when someone who has been given the Book of Mormon and had these things explained to him still refuses to read it. I feel sad that some people allow themselves to be influenced by others, refuse to investigate the book, and set it aside as something without worth, never participating in the spiritual banquet it offers. To me, this is incomprehensible. It is as if a son or a daughter, separated from a loving father, refused to read a letter from him without even opening the envelope. Those who make such a choice are like spoiled children who refuse to even taste the meal tenderly prepared for them by their loving mother.
It was exhilarating, though, to bear witness of what I know to be true.

+copy2.jpg)
5 comments:
he was our mission pres here in brasilia. i was happy with his message. his daughter got married that week end and his mother was in the picture. a 92 year old little old lady. she was so cute and tiny.
love
anaanddad
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I've given them out to a few thoughtfully chosen people and they always just toss it on the back shelf. It's a little hurtful not to even have them read and critique it. It's just so special to me. His remarks were just perfectly put.
Of course you would do this. Miss you, Andrea.
Good job. I can't believe someone hiked all the way up to your house. That was a great talk.
What a neat experience Andrea. I love the quote and found very touching. I have recently had a friend fall away from the church, taking with her all her kids and husband. It is extremly heart breaking. Take care Andrea!
Post a Comment