Monday, May 12, 2008

In The Past 3 Weeks I have:

Chaired the school dance

This is a bad picture but my camera wasn't working properly that night. Our theme was disco and the kids had a great time dressing up. Once it was all over I have to say this was such an easy thing to put together. I learned a lot by doing it that transferred over to my calling as Activities Committee Chair.

Celebrated Eli's Birthday:
I have a teenager! Eli turned 13 on April 28 and to celebrate Jason and I took him to our favorite Thai restaurant. Eli loves mussaman curry as much as we do so it was the perfect way to celebrate.

Attended the circus with the little kids. Oh my! I so did not want to take the kids to the circus but as I mentioned earlier Anna was begging to attend. We ended up having the best time. The kids have finally arrived and can actually sit still. In fact, I think it's the most successful outing we've had to date. All three were in awe of the elephants, the trapeze artist, the motorcycles, and the dancing bears. They begged to go on a pony ride and I swear it was the cutest thing ever. They were just so focused and proud.
Traveled to Utah for Women's Conference:
I should do a whole post about how awesome women's conference was. It made me so grateful to have such great friends. We talked nonstop the entire time about our philosophies about parenting, life, kids, family, fun, etc. What is so cool is that all these women are moms to three of my kids best friends. I am so lucky to be raising kids with this great group. We arrived in Salt Lake on Weds and shopped all night. Lucy was so nice to let us stay with her and we stayed up until the wee hours of the morning catching up with her. She went to women's conference with us the next day. My favorite talks were Sheri Dew, Julie Beck and Joy Hafen. I also loved the class on raising daughters and granddaughters. Another highlight was literally running into Jill, Kristi, and Michelle. I love all of their blogs and to see them just strolling across campus made my day. I could have talked to them all afternoon but we were going different directions. I hope to see them all again in the future.
I loved sitting where I had a perfect view of Sheri Dew. I really love this woman. She has definitely influenced me as a woman, mother and church member. I am so grateful for her speaking style and her boldness. Truly a holy woman of God.

Had surgery on my varicose veins. I will spare you any photo of this one. I've had bad veins in my right leg since my 3rd and 4th pregnancies. I really hate to be down and out of commission for any reason so for years I have been putting this off. One day a few months ago I was talking to my friend Betsy on the phone and she was on her way to a vein appointment. I said to myself, that's it, just get it done and called the doctor on the spot. Next thing I knew I was wearing support hose and having laser surgery on a vein in the back of my leg. This vein doesn't actually bulge but it causes me a lot of pain. I feel so much better after having it done. I had to take a Xanax to relax me for the procedure and it completely knocked me out. It was pretty comical. I slept the entire day while Jack and Lily ran the house. Luckily they are very competent little kids and kept themselves entertained.


Attended Jonah's Band Concert: Every year our school district puts on a combined band and strings concert at the arena. There were over 2200 kids who participated. Jonah plays the flute and I'm so proud of him for sticking with it even though he wanted to quit several times. This concert made it all worth it.

Jonah and friend Zack at the end of the concert


Put On a Ward Activity: We had the best ward activity. Our old ward that we just got split off from had a traditional semi-formal activity called Putting on the Ritz. We'd had it for over 25 years so since we are a new ward we switched the name to the Glenrose Glammies. We encouraged people to dress up and almost everyone did it. The highlight of the night was the lipsync contest we had between all the different auxiallaries.

Jason and I dressed up. I am wearing a prom dress from 1972 that I borrowed from my friend Deanne.

The Decor

YM singing "If I Had a $1,000,000 by the Barenaked Ladies

YW singing, "oops, I did it again" by Britney Spears

RS singing "Leader of the Pack"

EQ singing a medley of 80's songs. Loved it!

HP singing "Return To Sender" by Elvis

Bishopric singing, "I Get Around" by the Beach Boys

Celebrated Mother's Day by speaking in church:


I read so much to get ready for my talk. Talk about major pressure. The bishopric asked me to speak on Julie Beck's Mother's Who Know talk from October General Conference. I loved that talk and have thought a lot about it and studied it so the talk came together pretty easily for me. I loved reading what our prophets and general authorities and auxiallary leaders of the church have taught about motherhood. I feel so blessed to be part of a church that teaches the divinity of womanhood and motherhood.


Unfortunately I have not blogged or done my laundry.


Yesterday we had the greatest lesson on Joseph's Smith's letters to Emma. Our teacher did a great job of applying the lesson to our lives and we discussed how we can keep good records in such a high-tech world. I realized during the lesson that blogging is such a great way to do this. It makes me sad that when I get busy that is when I blog the least, especially when it's the one time I actually have something to blog about.






5 comments:

Lara said...

Wow - that's a lot to do! But you are so awesome at doing it!!!!!

The Glenrose glammies were hilarious! The best darn ward activity I've ever been to.

Loved, loved, loved your mother's day talk!!!!!

Kristin said...

Wow!! You are one busy lady but you do it all fantastically. Great post. Such cute pictures of the kids at the circus.

Betina said...

Busy times! You should plan our ward's activities, that Lip Sync looked like fun. I loved your dress.

carlo said...

i laughed when i saw this b/c i just did a "why i haven't blogged" in 2 weeks

i have been playing catch up too. it seems daunting at this point!

as always, i enjoyed playing catch up with you and your family.

congrats on the garden and the veins!! :)

Kelly said...

TIRED!

cjanerun