Thursday, February 21, 2008

Homework Blues

I've been so proud of a certain child of mine lately. He is required to do a cereal box book report. This means he must wrap a cereal box in butcher paper and then decorate it around the theme of his book (Can I just say I hate homework like this!) He chose "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card and has been working on it a little bit at a time since Tuesday. This is huge for him because he normally struggles with big projects. So here's the kicker, I emailed his teacher this morning to find out exactly when it was due and he informed me it was due last Tuesday, the day child who shall remain nameless started the project. What the???

So today he was unable to leave the house until the project was finished. He kicked it into high gear and I must admit I did too, helping glue some pieces of his spaceship to the cereal box. While we were working on this, another child of mine who shall also remain nameless, found a cereal box and created her own spaceship out of all our scraps. Oh, the difference between my different kids. Love them all, but I must admit the intense desire to do a project is sometimes as difficult to take as the apathy toward projects.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm chuckling with empathy. Oh am I!!!

It's going to be a lot of work to get these guys through school, isn't it? And a lot of cereal boxes.

I'm rooting for you all the way down here!

Jill said...

My son's book reports are done on cereal boxes too. I don't really know why, but oh well. Fortunately he is all about finishing projects early and usually turns them in days before they're due (I think he annoys his teacher). Apparently you've got the opposite situation going on at your house. Yikes.

Kristin said...

Oh for the old days of book reports...you just wrote the report and if you were extra crafty you decorated a piece of construction paper for the cover.

This year Reilly has a done a flat-box scene book report, a poster with a moveable part book report, and she just finished...tonight...a mobile book report. Is creative book report crap intended to kill off her parents? It's nearly working.

Hang in there.

carlo said...

oh wow! interesting project. and very interesting that it was due TUesday!! :)

don't you love when the little ones decide they have important assignments, too? ellie does that too and i makes me smile.

hang in there. i am loving the posts this week!!

[alisar] said...

I hate projects that require glue, paint, or anything at all three dimensional. Why, oh why, do teachers do this??? They must know that we parents have enough to do without fashioning cereal boxes into book reports. Grrr.

Carolyn said...

I finally understand why they do all this "cutsie" stuff in school -to prepare them for callings in Primary!

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

We can't even get regular worksheet homework done! I really cringe about projects. But I must give a shout out for the book. Ender's game is Jeff's all time fav book and I loved it too! Ender's shadow is a good one too.

Lucy said...

I'm loving the anonymity of this. Hmmmm. You know those kinds of projects have never been my favorite either, but now after having day in and day out of worksheets, I'm craving some creativity here. It sounds cool but bummer about the deadline.

cjanerun