Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Answered Prayers


Sometimes I feel like I am guilty of vain repetitions as I pray. Yesterday when we said family prayer I really felt that way as I asked for safety for our family three times. We proceeded with our day and took the kids skiing since they had the day off of school. We had a great day, probably our best this season. It was so warm and sunny that we just couldn't get enough. Near the end of the day I ran into Jonah who told me that a log had rolled down the hill while he was skiing and it almost hit him. I kind of brushed him off and didn't think that much about it. We talked about it again when we got home and I got the full story. Jonah was on a run and heard people shouting "Get out of the way!" He looked uphill and saw a log bouncing down the hill. He was able to get out of the way and watched the log tumble the rest of the way past him. As he related the story to me I got chills when I realized that Jonah really was protected from what could have been a major freak accident. Jason went down the run after Jonah told him what happened and said that in a group of trees there was a pile of logs. One of them must have broken loose and careened down the hill. I wonder how many times I pray, asking for the same thing over and over again, without really pausing each day for gratitude for answered prayers.

13 comments:

Lara said...

I'm glad your prayers were answered!!! I don't think prayers are repetitive if you are sincere!!!! I am always praying for the safety of my family too. And I mean it every time.

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

How Scary!! I'm so glad Jonah was ok and that your prayer was answered.

Kristin said...

Um...sorry Andrea. Blogger went crazy and posted my comment 5 times!!

Michelle Alley said...

What a story Andrea, I'm so grateful that everyhing is OK and that Jonah is safe. I don't think God minds those repetitive prayers :)

Carolyn said...

Thank goodness for answered prayers! I didn't realize how serious the situation was when I heard Jonah tell you about it. What a great lesson about prayer for your family.

Kelly said...

So many what could have beens as the boys get older. It's easy to take the vain repetitions for granted, when they aren't vain at all. Our families do need constant protection ever single day.

Glad Jonah made it to another.

carlo said...

oh that is so scary! i am so happy all are safe and well. wow...

Jill said...

It's good that you recognize your answered prayer. We pray for safety every day as well, but tend to forget those near misses that happen or just take it for granted that we'll be safe.

Victoria said...

So glad he is ok, prayers are answered. {{hugs}}

[alisar] said...

Sometimes the daily prayers are answered by great miracles. I'm so glad your little guy was protected.

cjanerun