Thursday, November 01, 2007

November 1


I knew when I made the appointments weeks ago that November 1 was not the best day to schedule flu shots and well check appointments for 6 kids. Unfortunately I haven't been to the doctor since last year's flu shots and today I remembered why.

The highlight of the experience was when the cold and distant office lady handed me a pile of paperwork to document my two 4 year olds physical development. I was asked to answer such questions as "can you understand them when they speak?" Why no, I can't and that is why Lily goes to speech therapy three times a week. During the appointment the doctor pointed out that Lily and Jack, according to the questionairre I filled out, might have some communication issues. Thak goodness I went to the Dr. to figure that out.

Anyway, the point of the story is that while I was filling out this four page questionairre times two Jack was turning off the tv. The nice office worker who had just handed me the pile of paperwork pointed out to me, (as I was going to turn the tv back on), "um, he really can't be playing with that tv." Again, thanks for the information. An hour and a half later we had our flu shots. Hopefully that's it for another year.
Jason saved the day by taking the three older kids later in the day for their appointments. I just couldn't go back. I'm so grateful Jason is willing to help me out when he knows I need it.
On a happier note today the countdown to Christmas begins. We're going out of town for Thanksgiving so I'm dispensing with my fall decor and heading straight into Christmas. My mailbox has been stuffed with fun Christmas catalogs and I'm excited to shop and decorate before we leave for Thanksgiving.

14 comments:

Melissa said...

I feel your pain!! I just did a flu shot visit with my four kids. The nurses gave us no love at all.

Betina said...

My policy is after 15 mins in the office I am no longer responsible for what happens. There have been a lot of tongue depressors on the floor in our appts.

jenny said...

I am so bad about doing that for my kids. I should do that as well, but don't want to fight the battle.

How rude of that lady!! Here is to lots of catalog shopping :)

Carolyn said...

Your know my thoughts on this topic!

I love Betina's comment. We should adopt that policy.

Kelly said...

Why a career with children if you are going to be cold and heartless? I just don't get it. We have a really great pediatrician who acts like an annoying 9 year old himself, the girls who run the front desk, not so much.

At least it is all out of the way for 365 more days? Sometimes I think the flu sounds better than the appointment.

Glad you are home safe and sound with your catalogs!

Kelly said...

Why a career with children if you are going to be cold and heartless? I just don't get it. We have a really great pediatrician who acts like an annoying 9 year old himself, the girls who run the front desk, not so much.

At least it is all out of the way for 365 more days? Sometimes I think the flu sounds better than the appointment.

Glad you are home safe and sound with your catalogs!

carlo said...

oh i feel for you. and i have decided no matter how awesome the dr is the office staff will never be that cool/easy going/nice, you fill in the blank...

on a fun note, the picture is AWESOME! I love it.

We will be decking out for Christmas on Thanksgiving weekend. A fun tradition we started a few years ago that I just love...

Lucy said...

At least your kids shouldn't get the flu.

You are the queen of patience, Andrea. But you know I already think that.

And I know how you love the comments like you don't know anything about your kids:)

Jessica said...

Well, I think your kids are absolutely adorable. And don't they know that playing with the TV instead of sitting there and staring at it is just a sign of intelligence? It would make sense to hire people who GET kids and moms. A little patience with the patients perhaps :)You had patience with them waiting 1 1/2 hours.

Amy said...

Sounds like such an adventure! Glad you survived it long enough to blog about it.

Lara said...

You are a brave, brave woman!!!!!

I know I should get my kids and myself a flu shot - but sometimes I would rather go through the illness than be at the doctors office, or standing all day in a big line just so I can cause my kids pain.

I'm so glad Jason could help you out!!!

You are making me excited for Christmas! Let me know how I can help you out for the Ward Christmas Party.

Rebecca said...

Ummm....I think I'll cancel my appointments. Bring on the flu.

By the way how did the rest of your day go?

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Oh man, do I hate going to the pediatrician too! My favorite part is after the waiting and the attempts at not destroying the room is when they breeze in and tell you its just a virus. That is such a hilarious picture. Blogging makes you look at the funny side of things doesn't it!

Michelle Alley said...

Oh my! Sounds like a big day for you. Cute picture though!

cjanerun